Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Hamster Diaries - Day 3

Things I have learned about hamsters in three days:

1. They run at night. They run ALL NIGHT.
2. The 'non-noisy wheel' is in fact quite noisy.
3. They are hardy creatures and can sustain being dropped onto bamboo floors from 4 feet up.
4. They can smell a two year old's grubby little hand a mile away.
5. They bite two year old's hands and no one else's. This makes me laugh.
6. By day three they have produced 300 pellets in the fluffy purple bedding.
7. Purple bedding now beginning to have an odor and is not quite so fluffy.
8. They have created a vacuum that is my daughter's room. She is sucked in there night and day.
9. I am wishing they came with a central vacuum attached to their cage. Forget that. Attached to their you-know-whats.
10. Despite annoying rodent-like qualities, they make this 5 year old girl one happy kid. That makes me one happy mama.

6 comments:

amy said...

Wow, we had Snowball for about a year and Christian never picked him up once!

Kayla said...

The vacuum comment makes this tempting... Feeding, cleaning, listening to wheels, and worrying I will hear "uh oh...where is it" makes this not so tempting.

Rebecca said...

I agree with you on the "silent" wheels. When I had a hamster, Pepper, his wheel beat against the cage all night long.

kj said...

That's NUTS that's she's 5! NUTS!

Gene said...

Ahhhh...kids and their pets...Gena, do you remember 'Fluffy', the kitten? Fluffy fell asleep on the top side of the tire of my car....we won't go into details, but...'whomp, whomp, whomp, whomp'....(it was a sad day for all of us). Remember the little bunny and what we had to do to help him 'pass over'? Another grim day! Then there was cricket...our Siamese cat who lived with us for 16 years. I won't even go there....such an unceremonious ending for a pretty decent cat. Having pets is fun...giving them up to old age is a bummer! The kids will enjoy them and they will learn a lot about life from having had them. They're worth all the messes, the pellets and the smells. I love the looks of sheer delight on Raegan's face!
It's fun having pets...and it's tough having pets.

Gene said...

Save those pellets....glue 20 of them together, end to end, and you've got yourself a new crayon...in an 'earth tone', no less! :)