Tuesday, September 16, 2008

More joy



On the way back from dropping Raegan off at school this morning, I got stopped at a light next to a lady driving a small bus. In my mind, this woman would have every right to be a total grouch - up really early, loading kids who need lots of help on and off the bus..etc. etc. I have never seen such a wonderful spectacle at a stop light in my life. Completely oblivious and uninhibited, singing and dancing in her seat to a rhythm only she could hear. I just had to smile.

I got to thinking, when did life get so serious? Why can't I take out the Old McDonald CD and jam out to my long forgotten Sting and Ben Folds CDs sometimes and NOT CARE what other people think? (Actually, I don't care because what other people think way too often. Just catch a glimpse of my hair as I leave the neighborhood each morning.) But that's really beside the point. I mean, embracing life and just remembering to smile and laugh more. Really, to become more childlike. Forget the dishes in the sink, the crisco covered car windows, the shaggy matted dog that needs a good grooming. Just breathe in, and remember you're alive! There's nothing greater than that.

9 comments:

Candice said...

My mom listened to main stream music all when I was growing up. There were no personal CD players in cars! So, my brother and I , instead of singing along to Old McDonald, sang along to Michael McDonald and the Doobie Brothers. We are not demented for it (I don't think). So, jam out to some non-kiddie music sometimes. I know I do and will continue to. I sing Cole Christian Rock instead of most lullabies anyway:). Many lullabies are demented..."down will come baby cradle and all" - sick.

The Seat House said...

Amen sister!
We are going out of town tomorrow afternoon. Lets do another chick-fil-a day next week!!

Gena said...

Sounds good. Have fun!

amy said...

I agree! I always play my music in the car and at home. I often dance like a dork and it really does help the soul!!

Mandy said...

I totally agree, let's let loose!

Ben said...

Music? Why listen to music, when you can eat! Beat stress with donuts. No, not the plain glazed…rock on with the cream filled and other complicated mini-pillows of joy. Of course jammin’ out to Whitesnake’s Here I Go Again can beat those blues away any day. Erick knows what I’m saying…best friends.

Mandy said...

Crisco covered car windows?
Every time I change the music from their CD to mine they freak out. I don't care that the kids freak out its just so loud I can't hear my music anyway.

suzspeaks said...

I need to heed this advice!!!! My fav in the car is Laurie Berkner...Kid music!!

Gene said...

'The wheels on the bus go 'round, 'round, round,....'

Guess who? :)