Saturday, January 2, 2010

I welcome changes. Really, I do.

I'm hyperventilating. The car seat is gone, the highchair is collecting dust, and my baby boy's room is transforming into a soon to be three year old's skateboard paradise. As I was fighting the tears and beginning that last sentence, my daughter picked the (in)opportune time to ask me when I'm going to be one hundred twenty years old, and whether or not I'm going to die before her. Really, she's just wanting to know the order each one of our family members are going to die before the other. What kid wouldn't want to know that. For real? It's like we're talking about what we're having for dinner, or what color to paint my (not babies anymore) kids' rooms.

Someone punch me. I don't remember if I even got one picture of those inappropriately babyish sailboats, or the converted crib. Did I remember to document the changing table before we gave it a newborn cousin? What about his last case of real diapers? The last paci, which I suspect made it's way out into the backyard on a sunny afternoon and never came back inside. I was going to put it in a little glass box with the other scraps of babyhood and preserve it for an eternity.

Insert incredibly heart wrenching music played on the world's smallest violin.

Maybe that's the problem with my music choices. That's really what's playing at the moment.

Oh, I'm grateful that we have a healthy happy family and the biggest of my problems is a room changing colors. But he's the baby. I'm not having any more.

I feel better now. Going to keep the two and 3/4 year old from rolling in wet paint.

At least he's not three yet.

8 comments:

Emily said...

ACK! Now I'm on the verge of tears! I've really been feeling the lack of "baby" at our house lately. Kendall is two and acts every bit of it. We got rid of the changing table. The other day I heard a song on the radio about a boy going to his first day of school and being scared and his dad giving him words of advice. I started bawling thinking about my oldest starting Kindergarten in a year and a half.
It's a new phase of life. No more babies. Now it's time to raise them. Because heaven knows I ain't no Michelle Duggar.

Kayla said...

Cant wait to see the room!!

Wa Wa Waughs said...

so don't try to remember the last time you rocked him or anything else...it's painful! You'll get thru it, though!

Candice said...

Aww! But just think now that he is a boy and not a baby anymore you get to learn all about how God wired him and what he is really into and all that! That seems to be a fun part of the adventure, too!

Natalie Hudkins said...

I feel the same way- we have been cleaning out closets and getting rid of stuff. I with that I would have documented the small things better.
That being said, skateboards are way cooler than sailboats.

The Shoemakes said...

Just come over and hold baby Zoey, get your fix <3 you

Mandy said...

I know what you mean! I was putting away some of the baby clothes that Violet has already grown out of and was sad wondering if I would ever use them again! I will not miss buying those boxes of diapers however!

Ashley said...

You sure you don't want anymore babies? Not that I'm trying to persuade you or anything, but babies are awfully cute and cuddly! HA! Don't kill me, Gena; this is me playing psychology on you again with you likely wanting to continue scooting away from me. Hee hee!